Classified Ad Title:
Job Title Chief Surveyor
Closing Date/Time Fri. 02/26/21 11:59 PM Mountain Time
Salary $6,813.83 - $9,316.87 Monthly
$81,765.96 - $111,802.44 Annually
Job Type Benefited Full Time
Location 8101 Ralston Road, Arvada, Colorado
Department Department of Public Works
We are hiring for a Colorado Professional Licensed Land Surveyor! As part of the infrastructure work system in Public Works, you will be leading the survey team and the surveying functions of the city and performs professional land surveying duties as required by statute and associated regulations. This position has responsible charge for reviewing, approving, and/or preparing subdivision plans, boundary and right-of-way surveys, survey control and monuments, legal descriptions and land title matters, and representing the city in boundary disputes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Directs and administers the review, approval, and/or preparation of land descriptions, exhibits, and right-of-way dedications.
• Represents the city in boundary disputes.
• Administers and approves boundary and right-of-way surveys.
• Directly responsible for the examination and/or preparation of survey plats and maps to ensure proper content, form, and compliance with Colorado revised statutes and board rules.
• Directs and administers the establishment and maintenance of survey control monuments and documents.
• Determines the need for land surveys to establish and maintain survey control monuments.
• Makes field inspections of survey projects.
• Directs and administers the processing and/or preparation of deed and easement documents.
• Facilitates access to city records related to horizontal/vertical control, land title matters, and mapping.
• Coordinates with IT and the survey team regarding the various software applications specific to surveying.
• Provides customer service for surveying, mapping, utility and floodplain concerns.
• Develops and/or participates in the development of staff work plans, measures and tracks progress towards goals, prepares and conducts timely and constructive performance appraisals.
• Schedules staff, assigns and supervises work, prioritizes programs and projects and effectively uses available resources to accomplish objectives.
• Makes decisions or recommendations for hiring, promotions, transfers, disciplinary action, and other personnel actions as necessary.
• Coaches, counsels and supports staff to maximize efficiency and effectiveness. Consistently educates and advises staff on organizational rules, regulations, policies and procedures. Supports creative thinking and problem solving and encourages participatory decision making when appropriate.
• Provides training and job enrichment opportunities and encourages professional growth and development.
• Demonstrates a respectful attitude towards customers and coworkers that promotes teamwork, open communication, and effective customer service.
• Acts with the customer in mind, responds to requests promptly and provides effective services or solutions for customers.
• Exercises appropriate level of initiative and judgment to make decisions within the scope of assigned authority.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Strong knowledge of principles and practices of land surveying, planning and zoning.
• Strong knowledge of laws and regulations governing boundary surveying.
• Solid proficiency with contemporary survey equipment, tools, and software used for surveying and performing analytical analysis of data
• Solid knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws, codes, and regulations.
• Strong knowledge of mathematics as it is applied to field surveying and related engineering computations.
• Strong knowledge of applicable laws, codes, rules and regulations.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to interpret engineering design plans to provide layout and stationing for engineering projects for accuracy and timely project completion.
• Ability to effectively communicate information, both verbally and in writing, to support organizational objectives and interact with all levels of personnel within the city in a positive and cooperative manner
• Other duties as required.
—Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job—
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, LICENSE, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE):
A Colorado Professional Land Surveyors license, as stated in Section 12-25-214 of the Colorado Revised Statutes, is required. A minimum of three (3) years experience as a professional land surveyor. Three (3) years of increasingly responsible supervisory experience that may include supervising professional land surveyors, survey party chiefs and survey technicians is required. Experience researching properties and chain of title. Familiarity with Adams and Jefferson County assessor's offices and Adams and Jefferson county clerk and recorder offices/websites. A valid Colorado driver license is required.
Bachelor's degree in surveying or related field
SCOPE OF AUTHORITY:
Receives general supervision under the direction of the City Engineer. Plans own work and the work of others to meet defined work plans and objectives. Some precedents and/or procedures exist. Expected to handle different and specialized situations in department or functional areas.
Responsible for making recommendations to supervisor for budget allocations that pertain to the department/division. Approves purchases up to $3,500.00.
Directly supervises the Survey Party Chief. Indirectly supervises the Survey Technician and Senior Survey Technician. Responsible for assigning and scheduling work and training.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
The work environment/physical activities described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job.
Work is primarily performed in an office environment with low noise levels. Physical effort and activities include: No physical effort above and beyond what is normally required for work primarily performed in an office environment. Some walking and standing required for field inspections.
City of Arvada