Classified Ad Title:
Summary: Provides surveying/field engineering support of all USAP surveying/field engineering activities in support of planning and execution of construction projects, maintenance projects, science projects and all airfields in Antarctica. Supervises crew. Deploys to Antarctica during the Austral summer.
• Maintains accountability for, commitment to, and involvement with personal, co-worker, community, and project safety as a constant priority
• Responsible for design, layout of Williams Field Skiways and Phoenix Runway, including the upkeep of airfield NAVAIDS and flagging of road systems.
• Coordinates with Air Traffic Control Contractor on obtaining information for Airfield Approach Plates and Ground Control Approach Surveys (GCA) for ALL airfields.
• Reports the status of all airfields to Airfield Manager.
• Provides surveying support to various science groups/field camps as needed.
• Provides surveying/field engineering support, including surveying layouts of buildings, construction/earthwork projects, topographic projects, and Ice Shelf projects.
• Provides final updated topographic and site drawings to Operations Manager and other pertinent managers and project engineers.
• Keeps the Operations Manager and Area Directorates, informed of the status of surveying/field engineering activities, and assists other engineers in the gathering of engineering data.
• Coordinates with Project Engineers and Operations Manager or designee on Field engineering activities relating to construction/site design.
• Supervises surveyor and assistants from the operations department.
• Performs other duties as required.
Required Education, Experience, Certificates and Licenses:
• High school diploma or GED
• Professional Land Surveyor License (PLS)
• Six years of progressively more responsible field engineering/surveying experience
• Three years of experience in a lead or supervisory role
Expected Skills and Competencies:
• Proficiency in the use of data collectors and GNSS equipment (RTK and Static)
• Able to complete a project from "Field to Finish"
• Experience using survey data collection programs
• Proficiency in communicating professionally and respectfully, both orally and in writing, internally and externally, via email, radio, phone, in-person
• Competent in collaborating and working as a team with other departments
• Solid decision-making ability and sound judgment to solve problems safely and effectively
• Good organizational and planning skills
• Knowledge of sea ice dynamics and properties
• AA degree in surveying
• Experience using Trimble Business Center software
• Experience using Global Mapper software
• Experience using Trimble R8 & R10 GNSS survey system/Geomatics GPS software
• Experience using AutoCAD C3D 2017 and or Carlson Survey 2017 software
• Experience using Trimble TSC3/Access software
Physical and/or Other Requirements:
• Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods
• Successful completion of Medical and Dental examinations required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica
• Successful completion of Federal Background Check required by the NSF
• Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies, and equipment up to the safety regulation maximum.
• Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors in extreme cold
• Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
• Valid Driver’s License issued in the United States
Benefits & Compensation: While benefits are subject to change, under our current benefits policy, this position offers the following benefits:
• Amentum/PAE paid basic Life Insurance, Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D), and Short-Term Disability insurance.
• Long-Term Disability insurance is offered for an additional employee-paid premium.
• Benefits are immediately available upon first date of hire.
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP) free services that include short-term counseling assistance & life management tools available for you and your eligible dependents
• Access to tax-advantaged plans, such as Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical and Dependent Care.
• Choice of medical plans administered through Cigna.
• Dental options through Delta Dental to include a high or low option plan.
• Vision services are offered through Vision Service Plan.
• 401(k) options are available through Fidelity. After a year of full-time employment, there is an employer match of 50% of participant contributions up to first 6% of your pay.
• Eligible for 15 days of Paid Time Off (PTO) for 0-3 years. PTO is accrued on a weekly basis.
• PTO accrual increases to 20 days per year after four years of service. PTO increases to 25 days at 9 years of service.
• Amentum allows 9 floating holidays per calendar year to be pro-rated based off which quarter employment begins.
• Biweekly pay periods
Salary Range: $90,000 - $110,000 annualized
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amentum is a drug free workplace.